OurPact's Family Locator relies on several permissions and conditions to report location consistently. While we do our absolute best to accurately report your child's device location, if your child's device settings and environment are not tailored for location monitoring, issues can be expected.
To set up the Family Locator feature for success, please check the list below...
In your PARENT OURPACT APP, ensure:
1. Family Locator is ON
Launch OurPact > Family Locator Icon (iOS app: upper right corner; Website/Android app: menu > locator, or on left side of browser window) > Stack Icon (iOS parent app only) > Toggle ON ‘Locator'
2. Place Notifications are ON
- In this same Locator page of your parent app, tap the list Icon (upper right map) > Select each Place > Toggle ON Notifications for entering/leaving the fence > Save.
3. Your Child's Time Zone is Correct
- Tap your child's profile image, and verify the right time zone is selected.
On your CHILD'S DEVICE, ensure:
If your child's device is in Airplane Mode or otherwise has limited connectivity (eg. 3G, 2 or less bars of Cellular, limited WiFi), location will not report accurately.
1. Location Permissions are Enabled
iOS Child: Open iOS Settings > OurPact Jr. > Location > Always
Android Child: Open OurPact Jr. > Menu > Parent Access > Enter OurPact login details > Select Location > Enable.
2. Battery / Power Saving Mode is OFF
iOS Child: Open iOS Settings > Battery > Low Power Mode: OFF
Open OurPact Jr. > Menu > Parent Access > Enter OurPact login details > Block Settings > Toggle OFF
Launch Settings > Device Maintenance > Battery > Battery Usage > ⋮ > Optimize battery usage > Apps not optimized > All Apps > OurPact Jr. > Toggle OFF. (NOTE: These instructions vary by device type. Look for Battery Optimization/Battery Manager.)
- Open OurPact Jr. > Menu > Parent Access > Enter OurPact login details > Block Settings > Toggle ON
3. OurPact Jr. is Running
- For consistent reporting, OurPact Jr. should be running in the background on your child's device. Please launch OurPact Jr., then return to the home page.
- TIP: Enable OurPact's Allowance feature to improve location reporting. (Allowance requires your child to consistently launch OurPact Jr. to play Allowance time, which will improve chances the app is opened/running.)
4. The Device Has a Strong Internet Connection
Location will not report if...
- Your child's device is in Airplane Mode. We can't prevent your child from putting his/her device into Airplane Mode, however, you will be informed in your parent dashboard if your child's device 'Cannot Be Seen'.
- The device has a low WiFi/Cellular connection. Two bars, or less, is not enough to share the location.
- Cellular data is depleted or disabled. Check your child's device data settings.
- Your child is on a phone call. Some cell carriers (eg. Sprint, US Carrier, Verizon) disable cellular connections during active phone calls.
- There are issues with WiFi. Turn off/on WiFi, first on the child's device, then through the router.
- If your child is using a public WiFi network (eg. at school or an Airport), competition for network traffic may interfere with a consistent connection. If possible, have your child disable WiFi and use Cellular.
Other Important iOS Child Troubleshooting Tips:
- Enable "Background App Refresh": Settings > General > Background App Refresh > Toggle ON > Toggle ON for OurPact Jr.
- Enable Motion & Fitness: Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness > Toggle ON